NorCal Wind Conducting Symposium
American River College, Sacramento CA
June 16 - 21, 2019
American River College is the home of the conducting workshop founded in Sacramento by Dr. Robert Halseth in June 1994. Now called the NorCal Wind Conducting Symposium, it is a wonderful place in which to learn the art of conducting within a safe and nurturing environment. Several of the world’s finest conductors have served as our guest clinicians.
This year we are proud to welcome guest clinicians, Dr. Kevin Sedatole, Director of Bands at Michigan State University, and Dr. Robert Halseth, Conductor/Music Director of Sierra Nevada Winds Orchestra.
This workshop provides an opportunity for a limited number of Participant/Conductors (up to 20) to receive podium time and instruction. An unlimited number of Observer/Conductors will be accepted as well. Registration is required. A list of wind literature is chosen by the clinicians as the basis for study throughout the workshop. Those participating in the workshop will need to have as many of the scores with them as possible.
Repertoire for 2019
Participants will be sent a list of scores to prepare in advance. The repertoire includes a variety of works for ensembles of various levels. Works to be studied include established masterworks as well as new music for winds.
- Arnold/Paynter (Fischer) - Prelude, Siciliano and Rondo
- Bernstein/Grundman (Hal Leonard) - Candide Suite
- delle Cese/Bourgeois (Wingert-Jones) - Inglesina (The Little English Girl)
- Grainger/Daehn (Daehn) - Themes from Green Bushes
- La Plante (Daehn) - Prairie Songs
- Margolis (Manhattan Beach) - Fanfare, Ode and Festival
- Schuman (Presser) - Chester
- Tull (Bossey & Hawkes) - Sketches on a Tudor Psalm
- Van der Roost (Curnow) - Rikudim
- Whitacre (Hal Leonard) - October
What to Expect
On Sunday, there will be an Orientation starting at 7:00pm. Mornings are devoted to podium time for Participant/Conductors with a 45-piece band. Each conductor will conduct the band daily for 10-15 minutes and be recorded on a flash drive. During conducting, one clinician provides audio comments on the recording while the other works with the conductor in front of the ensemble. Each conductor will be in front of the band five times during the workshop.
This event is sponsored by Sierra Nevada Winds.